Tuesday 24 April 2018

LOTUS BLOSSOM ON THE WATER

Another new set from Stampin' Up I've been playing with today is Lotus Blossom - yes I'm late to the party again as this set is retired.  It's a lovely three stamping set - I just wonder why they gave us stems as Lotus Blossoms sit on water - and that's what I wanted my card to show.  So after lots of research and just a Let's Get On and Do It attitude I had a play.





I used lots of old SU inks in this one - inclding Ballet Blue, Bordering Blue, Island Indigo, and Bermuda Bay for the water.  It involved lots of colouring with ink pens and watercolour pencils, blender pens, a touch of white gel pen, Wink of Stella and some splashes of water.

The flower itself was inked in old Cameo Coral and Perfect Plum and then clear embossed.  I've used a Stitched Framelit to cut out the image.  The sentiment is from the same set popped on a tag with Island Indigo ribbon threaded through.  The background paper was made wavy with an old wavy tool I have - I can't remember what you call them - to give the feeling of more water.  A glitter enamel dot was added to the little tag and lots of sponging around the edges.  

The Wink of Stella gives it a really shimmery look and gives the water the feeling of movement.

I'm adding this to the SU Only SUOC198 challenge which this week is asking for Colouring.

I'm also adding this to Retro Rubber this week as they are looking for vintage - well my lotus flower is reminiscent of Monet's Water Lillies and you can't get more vintage than that!  My stamp is also three years old so is an old stamp.


 

6 comments:

Debbie Mageed said...

I love this very pretty water lily card, Fiona! And I agree - I wish SU had given a stamp that looked like water ripples! We're getting one in the new cattie so I guess better late than never. The crinkle tool (at least that's what I call it) does give the water some motion. Very nice touch! Thank you so much for playing with us at Retro Rubber and hope you will play with us again soon.

Jan Clothier said...

There's such a lot of thought gone into this card, Fiona. Your water theme really comes through and the water you've created is lovely. I like the way you've attached the sentiment tag too, with the ribbon and the dot. I still have my lotus blossom stamp too but I don't think I ever made anything as pretty as this. Thanks for joining us at Retro Rubber Challenge.

Fiona said...

thank you Debbie I’ll look forward to seeing the new goodies in June

Maria Rodriguez. said...

WOW!! love the way you created the water for your beautiful water lily to sit on, lovely colors and details, I especially like the crinkles on the background paper, I think I still have that tool somewhere, thank you for reminding me and thank you for playing along with us at RETRO RUBBER, hope you play again next time.
Hugs.

Julia said...

Love the colouring for your water. This is stunning. And so lovely to see these old colours still going. So glad you joined the fun with us at SUO challenges.

Cindy Coutts @ Cindy B Designs said...

Oh wow! The texture and lotus blossom is simply beautiful! Thank you so very much for joining us at SUO Challenges and we hope to see you again!