Thursday 6 May 2021

WHAT DEFINES A MASCULINE CARD?

I recently watched a You Tube video by Gina K Designs - she poses this question What defines a masculine card?  And isn't it interesting - as she said men like flowers too yet flowers are normally thought of as feminine cards.  Butterflies are feminine - are moths masculine?  Most men cards are to do with hunting, fishing, boats, beer - and isn't it an interesting phenomena in this day and age of equality?  It made me think.

I was inspired by Gina's video to produce a card with a more masculine feel to it shall we say.

I have an old dictionary that I use for background papers and I found the page with the word masculine on it.  I added some Tim Holtz distress ink in vintage photo and then crinkled the paper - I then spread some Ground Espresso over the top.  I used my old deckle scissors to cut out the paper and added it to some SU green card stock.  The image of the lion is an old Tim Holtz one I have and fits perfectly with Try it On Tuesday's challenge of songs.  One of my favourite of Kate Bush is Oh England My Lionheart - strange as I'm Welsh but it's such a good song. I edged the card in Crushed Olive and some Vintage Photo Distress Crayon.

I added it to some black card stock and added a piece of silvery washi tape just to lift the colours a little.  The sentiment is from Tim Holtz Crazy Birds.  Interesting that Gina also mentioned masculine fonts and this seems such a thing to me.


Close up of the masculine word 



I'm adding this into the following challenges:

Cardz4Guys -  monochromatic - I think this may just fit 
International Art and Soul - Cards for a man
Try it on Tuesday - A song - Oh England My Lionheart - Kate Bush
QKR Stampede - Anything Goes 








10 comments:

Penny Hanuszak said...

Good post Fiona. I've often wondered what people's concept of a masculine card is myself. I try to make cards for the men in my life that feature humour,sports, beverages (beer or whiskey), tools, fishing, horses etc. When I look at some of the men's challenges on line I often shake my head thinking have I got this wrong, because there seem to be a lot of floral cards representing men's interests.

I love your card today because it depicts power and strength in the bold sentiment and the Regal insignia. Well done and thanks for posing the question.

Theresa's Treasures said...

Very clever and creative!

Jane Willis said...

What a coincidence, I was only thinking about "What makes a masculine card" yesterday. My husband was admiring a card I'd made that had a butterfly on it, and I thought that I wouldn't send a man a card like that, yet would do if the butterfly had been replaced with a bee. I have no idea why though! As a keen gardener, my husband loves butterflies and flowers - and he hates football, fishing and beer which masculine cards so often portray.
Anyway, I think your card is perfectly masculine - yet I would be thrilled to receive one like it myself.
At least as crafters we can make cards to suit all tastes rather than relying on the stereotypes used for manufactured cards.

dj said...

You rocked the masculine part of our challenge and nailed our "monochromatic" theme as well!! Fantastic take on our challenge over at Cardz for Guyz!! Your post made me smile cause at times I am at a loss as a design team member on how to comment of cards entered in our Cards 4 Guyz (a challenge blog dedicated to masculine cards) that are pink and floral and very feminine.

Sheryl said...

Great masculine card.
Thank you for entering our Anything Goes Challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
Hugs Sheryl xx
TTCRD DT

Mia said...

Beautiful masculine card, Fiona! Thank you so much for entering our challenge at Try it on Tuesday with this lovely creation. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.
Regards,
Mia
Designer for Try it on Tuesday
craftartista.blogspot.com {My Blog}

Tracey T said...

Really interesting! For most male cards I tend to stick with something fairly neutral like shapes, patterns etc and a sentiment. However, my dad loves cute cards, with Birdie Brown or Lili of the Valley images, for example. Love the mono design here x

Mrs.B said...

A great card Fiona and you made me think about 'masculine' cards being stereotype - why- not all men like fishing and football - I think I'll rethink now!
Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday.
Avril xx

foleysfriend said...

What a great card! I like how you used an old dictionary page. It's even better than you used the page with the word "masculine" for your masculine card. Love the vintage feel of your card. Thanks for joining us at Addicted to Stamps and More!

sue n.

Cazro said...

A wonderful iinterpretion for our challenge, presenting a vintage masculine card. Thanks for joining us at Cardz 4 Guyz. Caz. DT.