Monday 17 May 2021

SPRING FLOWERS


What a wet and miserable May we are having in the UK at the moment - heavy showers have knocked all the blossom off the apple trees and the spring flowers are looking sad.  One of my favourites is the crocus - such strong little flowers pushing their way up through snow and hard ground just to cheer us all up.

For my card today I've taken one of the lovely stamps from Simon Says Stamp Thoughtful Flowers.  I have already cut out a mask for this crocus so used it for this stamp. I started by using a stencil from Clearly Besotted with the umbrellas which is perfect for our weather at the moment.  I then coloured in the crocus with Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Crushed Olive for the leaves and a mix of Squeezed Lemonade, Spiced Marmalade and Fired Brick for the flower.  The sentiment is from the same set.  I sponged the edges and layered it onto a piece of card stock from Stampin Up.



I'm adding this into the following challenges:

As You See It - favourite first flower of spring
We Love Chocolate Baroque - Bright sunny colours



6 comments:

brenda said...

A strange Spring indeed Fiona and you are so right about the blossom, I've never seen so much laying on the floor in the orchard.

A lovely Crocus against the stamped background, thanks so much for sharing and joining us at We Love Chocolate Baroque challenge this month.

B x

Kathleen said...

A really lovely image and a great background and design. Thank you for joining our 'Bright and Bold' colours challenge at We Love Chocolate Baroque..

Kath x

Jan Clothier said...

I like that contrast of the umbrellas and the bright freesia, Fiona. It's a kind of goodbye winter/hello summer moment. Thanks for joining in with us again at As You See It.

Jan Clothier said...

Oops, sorry - flower misidentification. Crocus not freesia. :-)

Heather Cooper said...

Fiona, the crocus is the very first flower I see in the spring, and it has a special place in my heart because of that, but I've never found a crocus stamp before. I'm glad you had one. I like the contrast with the umbrellas and the slightly vintage feel to your card! Thanks for sharing your favourite spring flower with us at As You See It Challenges!

Amy Jasper said...

The umbrellas combined with the crocus are the perfect depiction of spring. Thanks for sharing your beautiful card with us at the As You See It Challenge blog!