Monday 12 September 2022

HIRAETH

Hiraeth is a word in Welsh which really doesn't have a direct translation into English. It means that longing for home and most Welsh people outside of Wales will feel that yearning to be back home.  Last October we were lucky enough to be able to return home to Wales.  I live a few miles away from one of the famous castles of Wales called Carreg Cennen. Perched high up on a limestone crag nearly 300ft above the River Cennen, its dramatic silhouette dominates the skyline.  It was officially classed as the most romantic ruin in Wales.  

My mixed media painting was made for the theme of new beginnings in a local show and I chose to do Sunrise over this magnificent castle.  In the background are stamped images of the Three Feathers, a map of Wales itself and our famous Dragon.  I was delighted to win 2nd prize for my painting. It is an uplifting painting and never fails to put a smile on my face that I now live in this glorious part of the world. 



I'm adding this into the following challenges:

Path of Positivity Challenge AG plus something special about where you live







4 comments:

As.I.Do.Rodos. said...

This is wonderful;
Thank you for entering our Anything Goes Challenge atThrough The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge. Good luck Ginny
My Bl og As I do Rodos

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Your painting evokes a wonderful feeling Fiona, great atmosphere in it, love you've included the Three Feathers, a map of Wales itself and our famous Dragon. Yes Our Dragon. HIRAETH is a VERY strong feeling. I know this Castle well after visiting it and the beautiful surrounding areas a number of times Fiona. We've also taken visitors there, how lucky to be living in such a lovely area.
Faith x

ScrappyHorses said...

So beautiful and a perfect way to celebrate your homeland. The colors and textures are gorgeous! So happy you shared with us at Path of Positivity! ~Katrina

Andree said...

A fabulous painting Fiona. The contrast of colours from the beautiful sunrise to the lush green valley looks wonderful. With your use of all the iconic images you've created a lovely representation of Wales.
Thank you for joining in with our September challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x