Tuesday 5 January 2021

Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge

I spotted the challenge over at Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge and it was just the prompt I needed to use some new stash!  I had some of the lovely botanical Collage papers from Tim Holtz which hadn't yet been used - I'd had great fun with the Christmas papers but had yet to try and use the botanicals.

I started off with a piece of TH watercolour card stock and added some liquid gel medium and some papers from an old Postage Stamp book I found whilst clearing out some old books.  It has loads of images of old Commonwealth stamps in it dating back to the 1970's and is a great book for collaging.  I then covered them with a thin later of Diana Wakley White Gesso and let it dry - who am I kidding?  I dried it with a heat tool lol!

I took some of the papers from the Collage set and gently chose the pieces I wanted with a wet aqua brush fixing them on with the gel medium.  I used just Speckled Egg and Peacock Feathers re-inkers to colour in the flower and some Rustic Wilderness Distress Crayon for the leaves.  I added some extra interest with an old TH script stamp in the same colours.  I added a butterfly from my stash and coloured it with the same colours and added an old arrow brad to the middle of the butterfly.  I used the sentiment Spring from an old Stamp and the In My Heart from TH and added some old lace. 

We are back in lockdown here in the UK which means staying at home for the next month or so - seeing no-one, friends nor family and only going out for essential shopping.  My piece came about as I, along with so many others, are looking forward to the spring when maybe the worst is behind us with Covid and the warm weather means we can get out and about more.  My muted colours are not particularly spring like as I think they reflect the somewhat sombre mood I find myself in.




I'm also adding this into the following challenges:
Shopping our Stash challenge which is New Stuff 
A Place to Start - Anything Goes
Make My Monday - something new in your stash
Path of Positivity - Look for the positive
The Paper Players - Use something new
Allsorts Challenge - anything goes


I'm delighted that this piece won at the Path of Positivity challenge and I was gifted a digital image.





 

10 comments:

meg said...

A fabulous make,love your combination of layers and colours,thank you for joining in at MMM

My name is Erika. said...

This is gorgeous Fiona. I think it is a wonderful sentiment to keep spring in our hearts. And I love your design too. Thank for joining us at Try It On Tuesday. Hugs-Erika

Nancy said...

What a beautiful piece Fiona! You certainly have an eye for mixed media! My favorite part are the leaves! They jump right out at you! Looking forward to seeing more of your work at The Paper Players. Please play along again when you have time. Good luck with the Lock Down...at least we have our crafts to keep us busy.

brenda said...

A really super floral creation in lovely colours, many thanks for sharing and joining in at Allsorts challenge this week.

B x

Mummylade said...

Wonderful colours. Thank you for joining us this week at Allsorts Challenge

Suze said...

This is absolutely stunning. I like the combination of the Speckled Egg and Peacock Feathers (I really need to get my hands on the Speckled Egg!).
I feel for you back in lockdown again. Let's hope the vaccine enables everyone to return to normal again.
Thank you for entering the Look For The Positive Challenge at Path of Postivity.

pearshapedcrafting said...

This looks exactly like the kind of Spring we may have if folk don't start to follow the good example most of us are setting! I really do love these colours and combination of elements you used! Thank you so much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

Maria Rodriguez. said...

I love the mixed media look on your beautiful card, lovely colors and details.
Thank you for sharing with us at SHOPPING OUR STASH.
Stay healthy and safe.
XO
Maria/DT

Chana Malkah said...

Fiona, your mixed media layering is perfection! Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us at A Place To Start!
Hugz,
Chana Malkah, Owner

Chana Malkah said...

Congratulations! You were chosen as a TOP SPROUT for the month of January at A Place To Start! Please stop by our blog and grab your badge. We hope you will join us in our February Sketch Challenge!
The Resident Design Team