Friday 2 June 2023

CREATIVE ARTISTE MIXED MEDIA - ANYTHING GOES






Welcome to another month's challenge here at Creative Artiste Mixed Media.  The weather has certainly changed here in the UK and it's almost too hot to craft lol! 

My piece today is a strange one - I am a member of our local WI group (Women's Institute) and each year they have a show with various categories for everyone to compete in.  The theme for this year's show is Treasure Island and one of the categories was create a Treasure Map. So, in true Mixed Media fashion, I decided I was up for the challenge.  And boy did I find it a challenge.

I started out with a piece of soft canvas which I covered in paint and ink for the sea.  I added stencilling for waves and covered it all in crackle paste to give it texture.  The Island was cut out of scrapbook paper and I added all the details on which I thought might be on a Treasure Island map.  I cut out the skull and cross bones and added a skull Island - just because.  I even found a little skull and cross bones charm in my stash.

I have some Creative Expressions turtle dies so decided to use them and give the area a Turtle Sea and again I found a turtle charm.



X marks the spot where the treasure is and if you lift it up there is a treasure die with gold coins.





I tore all the edges to give it some age and added distress wax and then scrunched up the whole map to make it less pristine.  I'll let you know how I get on in July lol! 


5 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

Brilliant idea and love your fabulous pirate treasure map
carol x

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What a fun creation Fiona, who would have thought it was created from fabric, what a clever make with it's added detail of turtles around the seas edge.. Wishing you luck @ the WI. Tracey xx

Judy McKay said...

Fiona, beautiful map. Lovely design. Hugs Judy DT

Andree said...

What a fun project Fiona. Great details and textures on your pirate map xx

Ina G said...

You certainly nailed the treasure Island theme Fiona. This is so creative and full of treasures. Love the flip to find the gold! Genius. I am sure those that see this will be in wonder of your creative talent. Well done!