Monday 19 June 2023

BUTTERFLY CANVAS


This project didn't start off anything like it is now.  It was going in a completely different direction with papers, tissue stamped images, texture paste but I just wasn't feeling it so I ended up ripping everything off and starting again.  You can just see a few darker images still there where it didn't all come away but I wasn't going to waste my little canvas.  So a few deep breaths, a step away from the craft table and I started again!

I started off by using Distress Oxide in Uncharted Mariner, Salty Ocean and Peacock feathers to add the blues to start me off.  Once dry I added some Fossilised Amber to add a touch of brightness.  I then added some texture paste through an old SU stencil.  It should have been white but it looked like there was a touch of pink paint still on the stencil - which is unusual as I'm usually very good at cleaning them, so the paste came out a bit pink but I left it light that.  I added some Liquitex Acrylic Ink in Muted Grey and spritzed it with water to let it add some extra darker parts to the colours and some extra splatters. 

When it was all dry I added some stamping.  The butterfly is a Tim Holtz Stencil - I kept it white but added some stamping to it and a touch of Spectrum Noir Sparkle. I added some washi tape from Aallandcreate and the words are from Tim Holtz.  The touch of ribbon is some I had from my stash and is the very last piece of it. I don't know where I got it from but am sad it's all gone.

So the moral of the tale is if things go wrong - peel it all off and start again lol!

I'm adding this into the following:

Allsorts - AG option butterflies 
SnarkyStampers - C is for Critters - not sure whether a butterfly counts?
Just us Girls - blues from the images
Alphabet Challenge - F for Flying 






13 comments:

Dena J said...

Love the textures and subtle colors on your mixed media piece. Thank you for sharing at Allsorts challenge.

TK said...

I'm not sure what the original looks like, but your mixed media canvas is definitely pretty! Nice pull of the colors, thanks for sharing at JUGs

brenda said...

A really great grungy backdrop for the Butterfly, many thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge.

B x

Linby said...

It's turned out beautifully and the addition of the butterfly is a lovely touch. Thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts challenge.

Melanie Hungerford said...

What a gorgeous project, love the choice of colors and the mix of sentiments. Thanks so much for joining us at the Alphabet Challenge!

JulieP said...

this is truly a piece of art!!! Love all of the layers and textures. Thanks so much for playing with us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Sarah said...

What a wonderful canvas, perfect for us at Allsorts this week. Sarah DT

Gina said...

Wonderful mixed media panel! So much detail echoing the many possibilities in life. Thank you for sharing with us at Crafting From The Heart XXX

Ellibelle said...

Such a fabulous design! Just wonderful with all the details!
Thank you so much for joining in with us at Allsorts challenge!
Ellie
Ellibelle's Corner

Lisa Kind said...

That background is amazing! Lovely card. Thanks for playing with Just Us Girls!

Lisa said...

Wowza this is so incredible! That background is amazing and I love the butterfly too.

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

Wow that background looks amazing it certainly turned out fabulously. Love all the layers and endless detail too. Michelle x

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

Wow that background looks amazing it certainly turned out fabulously. Love all the layers and endless detail too. Michelle x