Tuesday 1 March 2022

Pastels - what a challenge!

Well this was a real challenge for me - over at As You See It challenge they had a mood board as below and you had to use all of the items. It was only as I sat down to join in I realise how much I don't use pastels! 

I grabbed an old SU Set Choose Happiness which I don't think I've ever used much.  I've been going through all my old sets and sorting them in to keep or let go.  I'm now looking at these sets with a different eye - and if I can use them on my art journals or mixed media then they stay.  This was one of the stay ones - anything with birds on has to stay too lol!

And so my challenge began to find some pastel inks.  I stamped the main images in Versafine Clair Nocturne ink which is my favourite black ink.  I then used some Distress Inks and a water brush for my flowers - Victorian Velvet and Milled Lavender.  The leaves were stamped in Versafine Clair Shady Lane and coloured in with Distress Ink Twisted Citron.

I then used my favourite SU embossing folder Painted Texture to emboss the stamped image.  i went over it in parts with some SU Soft Pastels.  I found them in a drawer and haven't used them in a while.  I cut out some butterflies with an SU butterfly punch in the same colours and added some pearls.

The ribbon is old SU Powder Pink shimmer and I added the bird in Archival Distress Picked Raspberry which had been stamped off to make it paler.  The sentiment comes from another old SU set that's a keeper Feather Together.

I didn't have any pastel cardstock to layer it onto but did find this very pale patterned cardstock someone had gifted me which fit perfectly.



5 comments:

Heather said...

Beautiful, Fiona! I'm with you - I think the pastels was what I found most challenging, too, lol. You pulled it off wonderfully! LOVE that EF! Thanks so much for playing at As You See It!

Colleen Begley said...

Beautiful card! The background is perfect for those flowers.

Heather Cooper said...

Ooooh! Texture galore! It almost looks mixed media! I think you met the pastel challenge beautifully! Thanks for cooking up our recipe at As You See It Challenges!

Jan Clothier said...

Well, for someone who doesn't use pastels, you've done a bang up job! Love the subtle colouration of the embossed panel. Thanks for joining us at AYSI again.

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

I don't often use pastels either Fiona - I'm a Brights girl! - but i think you rose the the challenge perfectly. Love those flowers against the backdrop of that EF! Thanks for playing along with our recipe challenge over at As You See it this week!