Thursday 3 February 2022

Art Journaling

I started Art Journaling last year when I was so frustrated at a longed for house move that just wasn't happening.  I found putting my thoughts and feelings onto paper really helped me.  I found a variety of artists on the internet but the one who spoke to me most was Shawn Petite and I have learned so much from watching her videos.

I started out first on papers and made my own book of sorts.  Then I found an old book in a charity shop and have breathed new life into it by adding my art to its pages.  Here I can be as messy as I like as no-one sees it.

At Christmas hubby bought me a gorgeous leather bound book which he said was for my journaling.  It's so lovely I can't let any Gesso or mess near it lol!  So I now have two books in which I journal - one where I can be messy and one where I need to take a bit more care.  I'm showing both images here.

I've just found an Art Journal challenge on the internet called Art Journal Journey and they asked What is your Style?  Well I really don't know yet - and it seems to be different depending on which book I'm working in.  I'm enjoying this art medium and working through what I like and what I don't.  I'll be interested in looking back in a few years and maybe seeing how my style will change.  

I rarely share my journal pages on line but here goes!

This is what I call my clean pages journal:


I'm adding this page into the More than Words challenge for the use of Florals and Stencils.





And this is my altered book pages 




Delighted that my following page won Top 5 over at Try it on Tuesday 





I'm also adding this into:

 Try it on Tuesday Challenge for their add a quote 

11 comments:

craftytrog said...

Beautiful artwork Fiona! I love your style.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am SO glad you found us at Art Journal Journey. You make beautiful art and I am glad you took the plunge and shared it with us. It's certainly nice to work "neat," but also nice at times to work "messy." I like both styles and you have given us some incredibly beautiful pages, too. I don't get to see many altered books anymore, so seeing this book you are altering made me smile and happy all over.

It's OK to be finding your own style. I've been making altered art (some of it quite bad and shameful) since 2003. I still don't know what to call my style. Perhaps we don't have a specific style, Fiona. However, I sure like the styles you have given us today. Thank you beyond belief for sharing your journal and altered book pages with us at Art Journal Journey using Bleubeard's and my theme. We hope you will stop by often, because I personally LOVE your incredible art.

My name is Erika. said...

These are fabulous Fiona. You definitely need to use that beautiful leather journal. The beauty of art journaling is you don't have to have a particular style, but you've shown some really nice style in these pages for Elizabeth's challenge at Art Journal JOurney. I'm glad you joined us, and you should come back again soon. Thank you. hugs-Erika

Sharon Fritchman said...

Your pages are absolutely beautiful, Fiona! I love that your husband got your such a beautiful leather bound journal, and that you have another for your messier work! Art Journaling can be very therapeutic, as I have learned over time!!! Thanks for joining us at More Than Words and I love what you made for Art Journal Journey, too! HUGS, Sharon

nwilliams6 said...

Glad you found AJJ! It is a wonderful place I found when the COVID lockdowns started. The women here are some of my favorite people in the world. Your journaling is fabulous. I love the texture, patterns, and colors. Impressive!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

So nice to meet you Fiona at AJJ a wonderful friendly place full of creatives. Your journal pages are magnificent what a beautiful style you have, i'm sure your leather journal waits patiently for your creative time. Hope to see you again soon. Creative wishes Tracey.

Meggymay said...

Thank you for sharing your fantastic journal pages with us at Art Journal Journey, I hope you will link lots more with us all.
Yvonne

Mrs.B said...

Great journal pages Fiona and that's a great quote on the one you shared at TioT.
Avril x

pearshapedcrafting said...

A really lovely page - I love your style! I have had to return to comment as I wasn't able to publish last time! Thank you for joining us at both Try It On Tuesday and Art Journal Journey, Chrisx

Andree said...

A fabulously inspiring page and sentiment. Gorgeously rich earthy tones and diverse background details.
Thank you for joining in with our February challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

Heather McMahon said...

Oh wow - I wish my hubby would bring me home a journal like that! Lol. What fab pages. You're going to have fun! Thanks for playing along with us at More Than Words.