Thursday 2 February 2023

MIXED MEDIA CANVAS ART

January was a month of two emotions - Happiness and Sadness.  The sadness was losing my darling Welsh Springer Spaniel Tegan at the age of 13.  She had been poorly and we had tried treatment that sadly didn't work and we had to say goodbye.  I'm not sleeping brilliantly as there is a hole in our lives and I'm up early crafting away.


My Happiness was and still is bursting out - our first Grandson Rowan Luke was born on 18th January.  My daughter was told, like me, she would never have children so to have two - a granddaughter Hazel age 3 and now Rowan has indeed been a blessing.  Mum and baby both doing well and we are over the  moon.

Both of these events have had me crafting early in the morning and at the  moment I am really loving making Mixed Media canvases.  I can lose myself in them, especially listening to the videos of Tracy Evans as I love her style of teaching.

I'm sharing a piece I made yesterday and I just adore all the layers on this piece. My favourite colours are Vintage and this has is full of them with just a touch of my other favourite colour green.

I have some canvas boards I actually bought a few years ago from TK Maxx and they were gathering dust.  I took my time making this allowing the layers to dry inbetween rather than rushing it.  I started with a layer of Gesso to allow all the layers to stay in place.  I then added some Daler-Rowney Texture paste with a Tim Holtz stencil. Once that was all dry I added colour to the background and the texture pste.  I used some Distress Oxides and also some Deco Art Mixed Media Antiquing cream something else I'd not used before.  This is how it looked before the layers.




I started adding some layers.  I have an old book that I use for mixed media and I took some pages as a base layer.  I then added some of the gorgeous Ideaology Collage paper in Aviary - another thing that had been lying in my room not having been used.

I used some of Tracy Evans stamps for the flowers, the pots, the wellington boot, the birds and some of the sentiments.  The flowers were watercoloured with Distress Oxides and layered and then clear embossed.  I added some Tim Holtz embellishments to the flowers.  I added lace and washi tape and string.  Aaround the edges I added some Tim Holtz Distress Crayon in Tarnished Brass metallics.



I'm adding this into the following challenges:

Paper Funday - AG - lots of layers
Use Your Stuff - Mixed Media

Delighted to have been chosen as the winner for Use Your Stuff 




4 comments:

Leanne said...

Absolutely love this, I need to try to push my boundries more on my creations!

Pauline C said...

Stunning creation - so artistic. So sorry to hear about your beloved dog passing, but glad you also have such happy news with a grandchild ... life can be so mysterious with its balance of joy and sorrow!
Hugs
Pauline x

Haven_mom4 said...

Wow this is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us at Use Your Stuff

Anonymous said...

Love this Fiona. So gorgeous.